Tuesday, January 6, 2015

TTT - Top Ten Most Anticipated Debut Novels For 2015


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish.



I'm actually signed on for that Artsy Reader Girl's 2015 Debut Author challenge (12 debut YA authors in 2015), so this TTT may end up being an incredibly useful reference for me in coming months!  I tried to pick a couple of obscure ones so that my list isn't a mirror of everyone's, but... we'll see.  Right now the only debut books that are really being promoted are the ones being published in the first half of the year, so I'm sure as time passes there will be even more books to be excited about!

Top Ten Most Anticipated 2015 Debut Novels (in my opinion)
(in order of release dates)
1. City of Savages - Lee Kelly
     February 3rd, 2015
     As someone who works in midtown Manhattan and lives in Brooklyn, the idea of cannibals in the subway tunnels really doesn't sound that absurd or futuristic ;P.  I feel like this book could be to Manhattan what Neverwhere was to London.  Or well no, not at all, but I like the idea of setting a futuristic story in a familiar place.  I'm sure it's been done before, but I can't think of any that I've read that turned the island of Manhattan into a POW camp (and didn't include zombies).

2. Scripted - Maya Rock
     February 5th, 2015
     Reality television has always fascinated me and this reminds me vaguely of the Hunger Games.  No, not in the child murder way, but in the 'dark side' of popular entertainment way.  It also sounds like it could be a solidly creepy book in that it might fit enough into modern civilization to not feel improbable.

3. Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard
     February 10th, 2015
     This sounds so good.  I will be crushed if it doesn't live up to the expectations it has built for itself.  Everything about the description sounds fresh and deep and relevant and like it's exactly what we've been waiting for.  Plus the cover is stunning.  This is easily my most anticipated book on the list.

4. A Wicked Thing - Rhiannon Thomas
     February 24th, 2015
     It's no secret that I love fairy-tale re-tellings, and while I doubt that this can live up to the love I feel for Cruel Beauty or Princess of Thorns, this sounds like the most true-to-story re-telling to be published in recent years.  Plus, call me a cynic, but I love stories that shatter the happily-ever-after illusion.  The final kiss is always the beginning, not the ending.


5. The Storyspinner - Becky Wallace
     March 3rd, 2015
     Ignoring the fact that title just screams something I would read, I really like the cover.  Oh, and the plot description, while vague, sounds like it could be really good.  I am getting a little tired of the hidden princess stories but... no that's a total lie, I'll read them and love them forever.

6. The Wrong Side of Right - Jenn Marie Throne
    March 17th, 2015
    So this is a bit more real-life than most of the stuff I read, but it sounds really cute.  The synopsis kind of reminds me vaguely of the Ally Carter books, which I've always had a serious soft spot for.

7. We All Looked Up - Tommy Wallach
     March 31st, 2015
     All of the existing goodreads reviews for this are incredible.  It doesn't sound like something I'd usually grab off the shelf, but it does sound like something that, if a friend stuck it in my hand, I would read it and love it forever.  It just sounds like it might be a book that actually means something, and despite the shiny new BA in English I have in a box somewhere, it's been a really long time since I read a book like that.

8. I Am Her Revenge - Meredith Moore
     April 7th, 2015
     This reminds me of that television show Revenge, and not just because they have the same names.  Like The Wrong Side of Right, it's a little more real-world than my usual tastes... but I'm trying to branch out!  And I love girl-power, women-scorned stories.  And boarding school stories.  I have hopes.


9. Nobody's Goddess - Amy McNulty
     April 21st, 2015
     This sounds like it could be interesting?  Or possibly not.  I generally love relationships that start out as love-hate relationships, and the idea of forced-monogamy is interesting. It'll be worth a read at least, I like reading some of the more out-there stuff and I'll give anything a few chapters!

10. An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir
     April 28th, 2015
     This is probably my second-most anticipated book on the list.  It just sounds like it's going to be a gorgeous romance and a powerful adventure-based plot.  Like the Hunger Games but different... kind of?  I don't really mind it when books are similar so long as they're not carbon copies, and this sounds like it will have plenty of distinguishing factors.


No comments:

Post a Comment